In Chicago, no other event described the bloody era of the Roaring Twenties like that of the St. Valentine's Day Massacre. It marked the end of the peak of Al Capone's Chicago mob. Not many gangland murders have stimulated as many gangland ghost stories.
It happened on February 14, 1929, in a red brick warehouse located at 2122 N. Clark St., the SMC Garage. Capone was the leader of the Italian South Side mob, Bugs Moran was the head of the Irish North Side mob.
Rivalry had been going on between them since 1927, and in 1929, Moran had supposedly shot down Pasquilino Lolordo, one of Capone's gang. Capone swore he would have Moran taken out on February 14. On that morning seven men waited in the garage when a police car pulled up outside. Five men from the car went inside and a few minutes later the sound of machine guns filled the air. The five men left the building and drove away.
The landlady was annoyed by the barking of a dog in the garage and sent a border over to see what was wrong. When he returned and told the landlady to call the police as the garage was full of dead men. inside the garage after the massacre
Moran's men had been lined up against the rear wall and filled with machine gun bullets. There were seven dead, but they had missed Moran who had arrived late, saw the car, and took cover. The massacre started a change that broke Capone's hold of his southside gang. It also started a flood of eerie stories about the blood-drenched site.
In 1967, when the building was scheduled to be torn down, a Canadian businessman bought the bricks from the rear wall and started selling them for $1000 each. One by one, though, were returned. It was said that anyone that had bought one was suddenly hit with bad luck: illness, financial ruin, divorce, and even death. It seemed that the bricks had become possessed by the bad force of the massacre.
Even the warehouse became haunted with the sounds of screams, machine guns, and crying. After all these years, though the warehouse is no longer there, the sounds are still reported by those passing by where it once stood.